Through the Marsh Brook Rehab Women's Health Program, our highly trained all-female staff of therapists are experts in assessing and treating incontinence, as well as pelvic pain, pelvic organ prolapse and pregnancy-related and post-partum disorders. Our relaxed environment is designed to help you feel as comfortable as possible—and enable you to make important life-long changes, often without the need for surgery.
After an initial evaluation, we create a specific treatment plan that may include an internal examination of the involved soft tissue and joint structures. Once the physical therapy program has been completed, we provide a long-term plan to help you continue doing exercises at home, as well as in-depth instruction in self-management techniques.
A combination of treatment methods are used, including:
- Pelvic floor strengthening with internal therapeutic exercise and digital assessment/instruction
- Use of biofeedback-EMG to assess and treat tone, as well as to help strengthen muscles; biofeedback also helps clients learn how to calm down overactive bladder muscles
- Lumbopelvic stabilization for strengthening core muscles to help treat both incontinence and low back/pelvic pain
- Correction of trunk/hip muscle imbalances (usually due to weakness)
- Postural correction and body mechanics training
- Thorough spine evaluations, which helps us diagnose where your pelvic pain is coming from
- Soft tissue stretching and mobilization to help break down internal scar tissue that may be causing pelvic pain
- Ongoing education to help retrain clients' dietary and urinary habits
“During a follow-up appointment, my patient spoke highly of Marsh Brook Rehab and the care your therapists provided. They were able to make the visits less awkward for her and she was very appreciative. I am thrilled with her progress and am grateful to have another resource in the community to be able to refer my patients with pelvic pain and dyspareunia.”
Dr. Colene Arnold, Garrison Women’s Health Center, Dover, NH